Sunday 15 March 2009

All hail to the ale!

One thing that has surprised me more than anything in the Pacific North West is the abundance of excellent ales. Coming from a land where drinking is now classed as an Olympic sport, and a city which has recently been named the ‘Binge Drinking Capital of The Midlands’, I feel right at home.

The real revelation has been the quality of what is on offer. I’m not sure if it’s the abundant rain fall, the excellent quality of the ingredients used or the lack of chemicals, but I can say hand on heart that I have not found a bad pint yet.

Back in Blighty the only experience of American beers we normally have is Bud, Miller and Coors – bland lagers that go hand in hand with our weak imitations of European brands such as Carlsberg and Heineken. Some of the larger supermarkets stock Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam and Sam Adams but at over $4 for a small bottle it’s fair to say that they are not the beers of choose for a night in watching the Benny Hill Show!

My first induction to real American beer was when my better half took me to The Powerhouse Pub in Edgefield. The flight of McMenamins' samples is something I had never experienced before. Six wonderful brews on a tray with an explanatory sheet about each one - I was like a kid in a sweet shop. Dead excited and not knowing which one to try first! Needless to say that lunchtime will always be ingrained in my heart, and a memory I will take to the grave.

The numerous micro-breweries in Oregon and Washington is also something that is great to see. I remember them cropping up in the UK back in the 80’s and 90’s, but sadly few remain in the area I am from. From the small industrial breweries like Red Hook near Seattle, to the craft micros all over the place, it seems as if the revolution is here stay.

Many differences are evident between the UK and Oregon beer mentality.

Firstly is the measure. A pint is 20 fluid ounces in the UK and only 16 here – I get 20% less for my money! Glasses are the same with the exception that it is illegal to sell alcohol in anything which is not etched with a crown and code indicating that it conforms to Official UK Weights and Measures. Having said that I’ll drink out of a bucket if the content is good!

Secondly is the role of the pub. If you visit any village in England you will find 4 common things: The Church, The Village Green, The Cricket Pitch and The Pub (or 5). Life tends to revolve around these institutions and all, including the pub, are family orientated. The two main soap operas, Coronation Street and Eastenders, include pubs, The Rovers Return and The Queen Victoria respectively, as the focal point where the characters interact. Much the same as in real life. Here the role of the pub/bar is very different, and something I am still trying to get to grips with.

Thirdly is age. 21 here. 18 in the UK. I’m not saying which is right or wrong, but if you’re old enough to vote on alcohol related issues, you should be old enough to drink.

Lastly, and possibly more important is cost. Although the size of pint is smaller here, the usual cost of around $3 a pint compares favourably to $6 in the UK. One point of warning: don’t buy drinks at the airport hotels. In Paris I was stung for $36 for a pint of beer and a small glass of Rose!

No comments:

Post a Comment