Saturday 28 March 2009

Circle of Life

About 2 months ago I treated myself to a DVD recorder. My Sky+ was almost at bursting point with stuff I really wanted to keep, and more importantly stuff I wanted to burn onto to DVD so I can watch some 'proper' TV when I relocate to the States sometime in the future.

I had almost everything that Andrew Marr and Simon Schama had done on the BBC, plus other great documentaries, dramas, Life on Mars etc, etc - about 35 hours worth in total.

So over the next few weeks I gave myself the target of recording 2 hours a day on a DVD and releasing much needed space on my indispensable friend - Sky+. Such was my enthusiasm that I got back to 90% spare capacity - brilliant!

Being the inquisitive person I am, I thought: 'Hold on if this recorder has a scart socket, surely I link up my old VCR!'

Step ladder out. Up into the loft. After much rummaging around I find my old trusty Amstrad video recorder that has been gathering dust for the past 5 years. Back into the lounge, plug it in and to my surprise it worked!

Remembering that I had at least 10 hours of video tape from when the kids were growing up in the early 90's, I then undertook the mammoth task of tracking down the boxes they were in. Bearing in mind I had moved house 3 times, got divorced and generally been forgetful over that time.

Two weekends later - sorted! And I duly started the business of copying the memories onto DVD. Although some of the tape quality had deteriorated, some some parts loosing its colour, I was genuinely delighted that the content had survived.

Watching the home movies brought back really happy memories, but also made me realise just how much time had flown. The first scene I ever taped was off my eldest daughter playing with a talking doll which she had for Christmas 1989, the week before we bought the camcorder - she was 4.

Where this got really spooky was the Tuesday after copying said video scene. As usual I picked her up from her late shift at the beauty salon she works at and told her about the project I was undertaking. She was excited about seeing the scenes from her, and the family, all those years ago. Then she told me that she and her partner had found out that day that she was pregnant!

Those 5 minutes of video tape 19 years earlier now have an even more special meaning as she prepares to be a mother for herself.

I'm really starting to get the Law of Attraction now. It may have just been coincidence on this occasion, but there have been so many other manifestations over the past year, that I am starting to alter the way I think in order to get the things I want. The best Secret I have ever been told!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment